About Us


Scouting has always been important in Mornington. The first Boy Scouts Troop in Mornington was Mornington Kangaroo Boy Scouts formed in 1916. This troop became 1st Mornington Boy Scout Troop in 1921. The first proposal to start a Sea Scout troop in Mornington was in 1925 but 2nd Mornington was not founded until 14th May 1953. In those early days the Troop met at St. Peter's Hall each Thursday and soon became popular with the boys of Mornington. Four months later 2nd Mornington formed a Cub Pack.

The Troop had no equipment and appealed to the public for donations. The people of Mornington responded generously supporting the group. So did the then Australian and New Zealand Bank Limited, now the ANZ Banking group Limited, which, learning that the Troop had no meeting place of its own, donated a hut that the Bank was planning to sell. The hut was moved from Main Street to the Mornington Foreshore and became the first S.S.S. (Sea Scout Ship) Seafire in April 1954. Since then that part of the Foreshore has been called Scout Beach. By 1958 the hut was too small for the scouts and cubs. The Mornington Foreshore Committee granted more land for a new Scout Hall and the current two-storey building was opened for meetings in 1960.

The blue & white scarf is worn by all members of 2nd Mornington Sea Scouts. When a new member is invested the Group presents him/her with the scarf, woggle and the investiture badges. The colours of the scarf are from the sea, the blue represents the waves and the white edges represent the whitecaps of the waves. We wear our scarf with pride!

Last Updated on Saturday, 04 April 2020 14:34